Join us on a voyage of discovery at an exciting research showcase for all the family!
Discover the wonder of science, technology, and art: an engaging interactive showcase for all ages! Immerse yourself in hands-on activities and demos guided by research experts, and even meet our delightful talking robotic pets. Join us for an unforgettable experience!
All are welcome to join us at the historic Plymouth Guildhall, whether dropping in or staying all day.
This event is free, booking is essential.
Programme (with more being announced shortly!):
Discover the hidden treasures of early marine and freshwater life: with Dr Jamie McCoy, Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Marine Biology and Ecology Research Centre.
- Step into a world of scientific wonder with our advanced video microscopes, revealing how animals adapt to climate change. Get up close with live embryo views and take control for an interactive journey, or why not test your skills at matching diverse underwater species. Witness the magic unfold on the TV screen, featuring a fascinating collage of enchanting early life stages, from snails to jellyfish.
Botanical Survival Guide: Unravelling the Secrets of Plant Growth: with Chloe Betts, PhD student in the School of Biological and Marine Sciences.
- Why are plants important?
- What do plants need to grow?
- How do plants adapt themselves to grow better?Learn all about plants including how they develop and survive by planting a seed, looking at cacti and succulents under a microscope and seeing what happens to plants in a drought.
Beneath the waves: exploring ocean marvels and conservation: with Dr Becky Nesbit and Jenny Hickman from aMER.
- Dive into ocean marvels at the Applied Marine Ecosystems Research Unit. Immerse yourself in captivating underwater footage and embark on a VR journey through the depths. Witness seabed transformations via Marine Protected Areas while experts unveil marine monitoring, protection, and cutting-edge research. Get hands on with the diverse artefact collection and conquer the interactive fishing impact game, perfect for all ages.
- Join us to unveil ocean secrets and fuel your passion for marine conservation!